Join Iraq Veterans Against the War
To become a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War, valid proof of service is required.
IVAW's Mission and Goals
The mission of IVAW is to mobilize the military community to withdraw its support for the wars and occupations in Iraq and Afghanistan. In achieving this mission, IVAW has three goals.
- Immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces from Iraq and Afghanistan; and
- Reparations for the human and structural damages Iraq and Afghanistan have suffered; and
- Full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental health), and other support for returning servicemen and women.
- I haven’t been to Iraq or Afghanistan. Can I join?
Yes. Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) is open to anybody who has served in the military (Active Duty, National Guard, and Reservists) since September 11th, 2001.
- My command says to stay away from IVAW.
Your chain of command should check the regs. They can’t prohibit you from joining a lawful organization on your own time.
- If I join IVAW, do I have to speak in public or go to demonstrations?
No. You can participate as you wish. IVAW has movie screenings, closed meetings, BBQs, troop outreach events, and members can participate in peer counseling. Demonstrations and public speaking are only part of what we do.